For more than 25 years IAF has been measuring natural and artificial radionuclides, indoor radon and offering advice on radiation protection. We work in many areas, including but not limited to the following:
- NORM industries, e.g., production and transport of oil and gas, geothermal energy, production of titanium dioxide, coal-fired power plants, smelters and many others
- Radioactivity in building materials, raw materials and aggregates
- Radioactivity balance in industrial processes
- Clearance of radioactive residues from regulatory control
- Radioactivity in foodstuffs, drinking water and mineral water
- Nuclear technologies and decommissioning, clearance measurements, radiological waste characterisation
- Radon measurements in buildings, test of radon tightness of liners and other building materials
- Radioactivity in excrements
- Independent experts on radioactivity and radiation protection.
Since 2005 our laboratory has been accredited according to ISO EN DIN 17025:2005 (since 2018 re-accredited under ISO EN DIN 17025:2018. It is notified by the Saxon Ministry for Social Affairs and Consumer Protection and is an officially listed test laboratory for drinking water according to Art. 15 (4) of the Drinking Water Ordinance of Germany. Our customers include companies, governmental authorities and private clients. Since 27 June 2019, IAF has been notified “Expert Organisation” according to Art. 172 (1) German Radiation Protection Act (Workplaces with exposure to naturally occurring radioactivity) for all fields under Art. 55 (1) and Appendix 3 of the Act, and fields under Art 55 (2) without limitation.
IAF’s services go beyond the determination of radionuclides. They comprise scientific interpretation of the test results, explaining their practical relevance and complexity to our clients if so requested. Our laboratory results and consulting are of uncompromised quality. Our sample logistics is highly flexible and allows our customers to deliver samples at virtually any time day and night, and at weekends. Even during times of high workload we have opportunities to reduce the turnaround time of urgent samples according to our customers’ requirements.
In the field of radon measurements IAF prides itself of an impressive equipment fleet including a large number of dynamic radon monitors. IAF is one of the few companies that are accredited for indoor radon measurements. This not only makes IAF an ideal partner for radon investigations in buildings but also as the preferred advisor for radon protection and mitigation in existing and new buildings.
Collaboration in national and international networks (e.g., Radiation Protection Association of Germany and Switzerland, IAEA Environet/NORM, IAEA CGULS), involvement in R&D projects and work in technical committees ensure the continued training and professional development of our staff members. For example, IAF is founding member of the European NORM Association (ENA) that has been formed by merging the European ALARA Network for NORM (EANNORM, founded by IAF) and EU NORM.